Richard J. Zienowicz, MD, FACS
To Dr. Zienowicz, it is not enough to offer his exceptional training to his patients. He insists on applying his knowledge in a manner that has had significant impact on his community, his profession, and his world.
Dr. Zienowicz' work has been featured on the NBC Evening News and the Emmy Award winning "Wendy's Story" on CNN.
As a volunteer surgeon, Dr. Zienowicz has traveled to Ecuador and Brazil, giving many the gift of his expertise. And, he served as Interplast team leader for Nicaragua.
That's why Dr. Zienowicz insisted on such extensive training. He knows that his skills can be used to create an entirely new self-perception, and his mastery reflects beautifully on you.
· American Board of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
· American Board of Surgery
· Added Qualifications in Hand Surgery
· American College of Surgeons
· Plastic Surgery & Reconstructive Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
· General Surgery, Berkshire Medical Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School
· Hand and Microsurgery, Mass. General Hospital, Harvard Medical School
· Doctor of Medicine, Brown University
· Concordia University, Quebec, Cum Laude
· National Board of Medical Examiners
· Department of Plastic Surgery, Brown University
· Surgery, Harvard University, 1990-91
· Ultracision Inc., Development of hand/plastic surgical applications for an ultrasonic scalpel
· Reprogenesis Inc., Development of plastic surgery applications for autologous in vitro cultured chondrocytes
· "Top Plastic Surgeon in Rhode Island," Rhode Island Monthly, 1997 & 1998
· Wallace II J Chang Plastic Surgery Award, 1987
· Who's Who in Business and Professionals
· American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
· American Association of Hand Surgeons
· Plastic Surgery Research Council
· Northeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
· Rhode Island Society of Plastic Surgeons
· Sixth Congress of Italian American Plastic Surgeons
· Lifespan Magazine, Rhode Island's Journal for Healthy Living
"Helping people transform their dream look into a beautiful reality is my professional passion. Perhaps it requires my assistance to smooth and tone aging skin. Reshape a nose, chin, or neckline. Enhance the bust. Or slim the torso.
I encourage you to discuss your expectations and concerns with me. I want you to feel confident in my surgical skill and assured by my appreciation of the human body as an art form.
I hope that as you read the descriptions of the procedures available, you will be amazed on at least three levels: the remarkable results now possible, that most of them can be performed on an outpatient basis, and how safe they have become.
I look forward to helping you achieve the body image you feel would be most in tune with the essence within." - Dr. Zienowicz
Dr. Zienowicz uses FDA-approved implants so fuller, more flattering breasts no longer come at the price of a natural look and feel. He is experienced with a variety of surgical options, many involving only tiny, hidden incisions. So no matter how much you're noticed . . . his work never is.
Aesthetic Breast Surgery:
· Breast Enlargement: The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. A small incision is made under the breast and a saline implant is inserted under the breast tissue or under the breast tissue and the underlying muscle.
· Breast Lift (Mastopexy): The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under sedation and local or general anesthesia. The design of the incisions can vary but usually include incisions around the nipple-areolar complex and in the crease under the breast. The nipple-areolar complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.
· Breast Reduction: The procedure is done under general anesthesia on an outpatient basis or in the hospital. Incisions are made around the pigmented area (the nipple-areolar complex) and extend vertically below the nipple and in the fold under the breast. The nipple-areolar complex is moved upward to the desired location; excess breast tissue, fat, and skin are removed.
· Breast Implant Removal: Removal of implants. Possible removal of capsules (scar tissue) and residual silicone. Additional procedures that will enhance the result are a Breast Lift (Mastopexy) or Secondary Augmentation Mammoplasty.
Reconstructive Breast Surgery:
· TRAM Flap: A flap of lower abdominal wall fat, muscle (and usually skin), is transferred to the area of missing breast tissue with its own blood supply. In a standard TRAM Flap, the blood supply is within the rectus muscle(s) which is left attached at the lower edge of the rib cage. In a Free TRAM, the blood vessels are reconnected to vessels in the axilla. In a Turbocharged TRAM, the muscle is left attached superiorly, but the inferior vessels are connected in the axilla creating a double blood supply. The abdominal donor site is closed as in a Tummy Tuck, leaving a horizontal scar and a tighter abdomen. An attempt is made to create a "normal" breast mound and shape at the first operation, but subsequent smaller procedures are frequently necessary. Nipple/areolar reconstruction is performed at a later date and is elective.
· Expander: Step one: In the first operation an expander is placed under the skin and chest muscles. Saline is injected into the expander over a period of weeks or months via a "fill port". The overlying skin expands and "grows" with continued expansion. When enough skin is present, the expansion process is terminated. Step two: At the second procedure, the expander is removed and a permanent silicone or saline implant is placed. Possible step three: Nipple areolar reconstruction, if desired, can be completed at a later time. It is possible that adjustment of the pocket where the permanent implant is placed may be appropriate at a future date in order to obtain the best possible result.
· Latissimus: The Latissimus Dorsi Flap operation uses skin and muscle from the upper outer back to replace the missing breast skin and a portion of the breast mass. The flap is kept alive by blood flow through the muscle. An implant is usually (but not always) placed under the flap in order to reconstruct the appropriate breast volume. The implant can be of either the silicone gel or saline type.
Other Procedure performed by Dr. Zienowicz:
Body Contouring & Liposuction:
· Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
· Thigh-Buttock Lift
· Upper Arm lift
· Face Lift
· Lip Enlargement
· Chin Enlargement
· Cheek Implants
· Neck Lift
· Eyelid Lift
· Forehead Lift
· Nose Reshaping
· Nose Reshaping and Correction of Deviated Nasal Septum
· Ear Pinning.
Permanent Hair Removal
Skin and Scars:
· Excision of Skin Tumors & Cysts
· Facial Sanding (Dermabrasion)
· Fat Grafting
· Medical Tattooing
· Scar Revision
· Skin Grafting
· Skin Resurfacing (Laser Peel)
· Tissue Expansion
· Z-Plasty Scar Revision
Beauty is only skin deep - Inner Beauty goes much deeper . . .
While Dr. Zienowicz' mastery can be appreciated in any mirror, its more profound impact requires greater reflection. Marked by an inner glow, increased self-confidence, and a renewed sense of youthfulness, patients insist it changes their lives. Of course, there's never a reason to change who you are. But when a surgeon's skill can improve the way you feel about who you are, what a gift that is.